A friend of mine had an issue with her Apple iPod Touch not being detected by iTunes or her Windows computer. She would plug it in, but nothing would happen. Here’s what we did to solve the issue.
- Ensure the latest version if iTunes is installed on your computer.
- Select the “Start” button, then type “Device“.
- Select “Device Manager“.
- Expand “Portable Devices“.
- Look for a device listed as “Apple iPod USB Driver” or “Apple iPod“. Right-click on it and select “Properties“. If you don’t see it listed, skip to the section below for “iPod Touch Not Showing in Device Manager”.
- Select the “Driver” tab.
- Select the “Update Driver…” option.
- Choose “Browse my computer for driver software“.
- Select the “Browse…” button.
- Navigate to:
- Program Files
- Common Files
- Mobile Device Support
- Select “OK“.
- Select the “Next” button.
- Select “OK” again. Hopefully the driver is installed correctly.
Try to see if your iPod Touch is detected by Windows now. I’m hoping these steps worked!
iPod Touch Not Showing in Device Manager
In this case, there may be a hardware issue. Try the following:
- Ensure they you have selected “Trust” if prompted on the iPod Touch device.
- If possible, try to plug the iPod Touch into a different USB port on your computer.
- If possible, try to plug the iPod Touch into the computer using a different cable.
This post applies to Windows 8 and 7 users.