Return your Verizon Motorola Droid to factory default settings with a factory reset. A factory reset will erase all data and settings from the memory of the device. Data on the SD card is preserved unless you choose to format it.
There are two ways you can wipe data from the device. A software method and a hardware method.
Note: Before performing these steps, you may want to backup your data first. Settings, app data and text messages will all be removed after performing these steps.
If you can access the Droid X2 Android menus, you can easily perform these steps.
1. From any home screen, tap the Menu button below the screen.
2. Select Settings.
3. Select the Privacy menu option.
4. Select the Factory data reset menu option.
5. Check the Erase SD card box if you wish to also clear personal information such as your photos and music files. If this box is not checked, a factory reset will be performed only on data from the internal memory. Tap Reset phone when ready.
6. Enter your PIN or screen lock pattern if prompted.
7. Tap the Erase everything button.
8. The phone will power off. Be patient while the factory reset is completed. It may take a while.
This method is available if the Droid X2 won’t boot into the Android OS properly. You can also use if it you have forgotten your screen or pattern lock password.
1. Turn the Droid X2 off.
2. Press and hold the Volume Down button on the side of the device, then press and hold the Power button on the top of the device.
3. Wait about 5 seconds then release the Power button, but continue to hold Volume Down.
4. When the Fastboot screen loads, release the Volume Down button.
5. Use the Volume Down button to toggle the setting down to the Android Recovery selection.
6. Press Volume Up to choose the selection.
7. Wait for the Android logo to appear, then press Volume Up and Volume down at the same time. You may have to try this several times to get it to go to the next menu.
8. Use the Volume Down button to toggle the setting to the wipe data / factory reset selection.
9. Press the Power button to make the selection.
10. Use the Volume Down button to toggle the setting to Yes.
11. Press Power to make the selection.
12. The Droid X2 will then take a few minutes to complete the factory reset. When it’s finished you will have an option to reboot system now. You can use the Power button to select it.
You have successfully performed a factory reset on the Motorola Droid X2. The device will now look just as it did when it was powered on the first time.