Soft reset your Motorola Atrix HD if it is frozen and not responding. Hard reset your Motorola Atrix smartphone if you wish to wipe all data from the device. There are a couple of ways to accomplish a hard reset. One uses the menus, the other uses hardware buttons. Here’s how it’s done.
A soft reset will not wipe data from the device.
- Press and hold the “Power” and “Volume Down” buttons simultaneously for about 15 seconds until the device turns off. You should then be able to power it back on as normal.
Hard Reset Method 1
If you can access the Android OS menus on the phone, this option is preferred.
- Go to “Settings“.
- Select “Privacy“.
- Tap “Factory data reset“.
- Select “Reset phone“.
- Tap “Erase everything“.
The Atrix will then finish the hard reset process.
Hard Reset Method 2
If your phone has issues and won’t boot normally, this is the option to use.
- With the phone off, press and hold the “Volume Down” and “Power buttons” at the same time.
- A “Fastboot” screen should appear. Press “Volume Down” to navigate to the “Android Recovery” selection.
- Press “Volume Up“.
- A yellow triangle and Android logo will appear. Push the “Volume Up” and Volume Down buttons simultaneously. You may have to try this a few times until the recovery screen appears.
- Tap “wipe data/factory reset” then tap “OK‘.
- Tap “Yes” then “OK“.
- The Atrix will take a moment to perform the factory reset. When completed, select “reboot system now” then tap “OK“.
This will clear all internal memory on the phone. SD card data is preserved, so if you’re transferring ownership of the phone or sending it back to the store, you may want to format the SD card as well. You can do so under “Settings” > “SD card & phone storage“.
This post applies to the MB886 model Motorola Atrix HD smartphone.