If you upgrade to Microsoft Excel 2016, 2013, or 2010, you may encounter a “Compatibility Checker” dialog every time you try to save the file using an older file format. In most cases, you can simply select the “Check compatibility when saving this workbook” box, then select “Continue”, then proceed without problems. If you work with many Excel spreadsheets though, it can become tiring to constantly have to select “Continue”.
While there are ways to prevent the Compatibility Checker dialog from appearing in a single file, there doesn’t seem to be a setting to permanently stop it from appearing.
Fortunately, there is a solution. A plugin is available that disables the Excel Compatibility Checker and prevents it from ever appearing. Follow these steps to install it.
- Download DisableCompatCheck.zip.
- Unzip the file to your Windows Desktop. It should appear as “DisableCompatChecker.xlam“.
- Open Excel, then select “File” > “Options” > “Add-Ins“.
- At the bottom where it says “Manage – Excel Add-ins“, select the “Go…” button.
- Select the “Browse…” button.
- Navigate to the Desktop, then select the “DisableCompatChecker.xlam” file.
- Select “OK“.
The plug-in should now be installed in Excel and block Compatibility Checker messages. It should work just as though you selected “Continue“.