Depending on the environment, you may or may not want to allow users to be able to burn CD’s or DVD’s on certain computer systems. Enable or disable CD burning capability in Windows 8 or 7 with this registry hack.
- Hold the Windows Key, then press “R” to bring up the Run dialog box.
- Type “regedit“, then press “Enter“. This will open the registry editor.
- Navigate to the following registry key:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE for all users, or HKEY_CURRENT_USER for the currently logged in user.
- Look for a key called “NoCDBurning”. If it does not exist, you can create a new DWORD value under the Explorer folder by performing the following steps:
- Click “Edit” > “New” > “DWORD Value“.
- Name it “NoCDBurning” without quotes. Press “Enter” to save.
- Double-click on “NoCDBurning” and you can set the value to “1” to disable CD burning or set it to “0” to enable it.
Log off the current user, then log back in. The ability to drag and drop files to the CD or DVD drive will be disabled as well as the ability to Format discs.
Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. We cannot guarantee that problems resulting from modifications to the registry can be solved. Use the information provided at your own risk.