Having a password on a machine is recommended if your computer may be around people you don’t want accessing your data. Environments such as a small or home office you may be trusting enough to go without requiring a password. If you want to disable the prompt to type a username and password to get into Windows 8 you can follow these steps.
- Hold the Windows Key then press “R” to bring up the “Run” dialog box.
- Type “control userpasswords2“, then select “OK“.
- The “User Accounts” dialog should appear.
- Select the user you would like to use every time you login.
Note: The “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer” must be checked to change the user selection.
- Once you have chosen the account you wish to use, uncheck or the box that says “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer” to disable password screen and allow Windows to automatically login and bring users to the main screen.
- Type the password to the auto-login account in the “Password” and “Confirm Password” boxes, then choose “OK“.
If you decide you want to enable the prompt for a username and password again, simply return to this screen, and check the “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer” box again.