It took me a bit of time to figure out how to scan documents using my new Canon Pixma MX340 printer. The instructions aren’t located in the physical manual. I finally figured out how to do it though after a few hours of playing with it.
1. Install the MP Navigator EX software located on the disc that came with the printer.
2. Go to Start > Programs > Canon Utilities > MP Navigator EX > MP Navigator EX.
3. Select Photos/Documents or Stack of Documents.
4. If Photos/Documents was selected, open the top of the scanner and place the document you wish to scan on the glass with the top facing to the left. If Stack of Documents was selected, flip the plastic tray open on the top of the printer and place the stack of papers in the tray.
5. Select the Document Type in the left pane, then click the Scan button.
6. The scanning process should start. When it’s finished, select Save to save the document(s) as a JPEG, or select Save as PDF to save it in PDF format.