It seems there are quite a few people wondering how to create groups for contacts on their Android devices. The manual for most Android phones references this, but doesn’t tell you how to do it.
Well, it looks like there really isn’t a way to do it on the phone. You will have to bring up a Browser (either on your computer or the device) and perform these steps.
Option 1 – From Contacts App
- Open the “Contacts” app on your Android device.
- Select “Groups“.
- Select the “Menu” icon located at the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Choose “Add Group“.
- Type the “Group’s name“.
- Type a contact name in the “Type person’s name” field, then tap the “Plus” (+) icon to the right of the field. Repeat this step for any additional contacts you wish to add to this group.
- Tap “Done” when you are finished.
Option 2 – From a Web Browser
- Login to your Google Contacts using a web browser.
- Select “Groups” > “New Group” on the left pane.
- Type the new group name, then select “Create group“.
- To add contacts to a group, select the group on the left pane.
- Select the “Plus” (+) icon located at the lower-right portion of the screen, then type the name of the person in the “Type” field, then select the contact you wish to add. Repeat this step for any additional contacts you wish to add to the group.
Now the group will sync to your Android device using your Google account.